Saturday, December 24, 2011

TWIN APPLESAUCE LOAVES

This is a recipe from my childhood. Mom used to make these at Christmas and put a few slices on the "cookie plates" she made for neighbours and friends. Just like banana bread it is better a day later rather than immediately. However, Ralph and I couldn't wait and thought it tasted pretty good the day Kristen and I made it. Kristen made some in mini loaf pans to give away. I love its moist, chocolaty flavor.

TWIN APPLESAUCE LOAVES

Sift into a mixing bowl: (I don't sift)
2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. cocoa
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice ( I have left this out if I don't have it.)
Add:
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce ( I just used what was in the can because it wasn't very sweet anyway. In the past, I have used my home made applesauce.)
Beat 200 strokes or 2 min. with an electric mixer on low.
If desired you can stir in any of the following:
3/4 c. chopped dates
3/4 c. chopped raisins
1/3 c. diced citron
3/4 c. chopped nuts ( I don't like fruitcake so usually leave these 4 ingredients out.)

Pour into greased pans. ( 1 tube pan or two medium loaf pans) and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour for tube pan, accordingly for smaller pans. You may frost cakes with white buttercream frosting when cool.

No comments: