Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rhubarb Criso

We have a patch of rhubarb in our back yard that came with the house. It is very good rhubarb and is one of the things that grows well in this climate. It was getting big so Hailey and I decided to do something with it. I do not like all rhubarb recipes but feel obligated to use it because it's there and it is free. Last week the neighbor brought over some rhubarb quick bread but neither Ralph nor I cared for it. It was kind of like zucchini bread which has never been a personal favorite. My mother used to make rhubarb/strawberry jam which to me seemed like a good way to ruin strawberries. We just took the recipe for Apple Crisp and used rhubarb in place of apples.

Rhubarb Crisp
Wash and cut stalks of rhubarb into 1 in. pieces. (Leaves should have already been cut off as I have heard they are toxic if eaten.) Fill the bottom of a 9x12 pan with one layer of rhubarb pieces. Sprinkle about 2/3 c. of white, granulated sugar over the top. (You can adjust this to your taste and the sweetness of the rhubarb.) Then mix the following ingredients and spread or crumble over the top of rhubarb pieces.
2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
16 shakes of salt (from a salt shaker not the box)
Mix and add 2 cubes of butter cut into slices
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
Mix thoroughly and spread over rhubarb pieces.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 min.

This is good served warm with vanilla ice cream. It is quite tart to me but everything tastes sour to me these days.

No comments: