Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jesus' Birthday Cake

When my children were small I wanted them to remember the real reason we celebrated Christmas. So I made a bundt cake for our Christmas Eve dinner and I put a large (taper) candle in the middle. I had some other objectives too. I wanted a tradition from Ralph's side of the family so I used a recipe from his grandmother, Sara Ellsworth Madsen. Also, I don't like traditional fruitcakes so this is my alternative.

Grndma Kern's Christmas Cake

1/2 c, butter (1 square)
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 c. cold applessauce ( 1 303 can)
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. powdered clove
1 c. raisins
1 c. walnuts, cut in pieces
marascino cherries to taste and as you can afford them
dash of salt

Cream butter, and add sugar gradually. Add egg and beat thoroughly. Add applesauce. Add flour sifted with other dry ingredients. Add raisins and nuts. Add cherries (drained) and mix well. Bake 50 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
(Ralph's mom added extra honey but I never have.)

No comments: