Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Baking

Hailey and I made Nutmeg Logs this week. My mom got this recipe from Aunt Donna who called them Rum Logs but my mother thought it was important to change the name to Nutmeg Logs. They are different than most cookies and smell like Eggnog. Haiiley misunderstood me and put in 2 tsp. of Nutmeg instead of 2 tsp. of vanilla. They were a little heavy on the nutmeg for my taste but Hailey's father loved them. I guess the point is that you can adjust the recipe to your own taste.

NUTMEG LOGS

1 c. butter or margarine
1 egg
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. rum flavoring (imitation is o.k.)
3 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. (or what you like) nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream butter with flavoring. Gradually add sugar and continue creaming. Blend in egg. Sift flour with nutmeg and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix well. Shape pieces of dough by rolling into ropes on a sugared board, about 1/2 or 3/4 " in diameter. Cut in 3 inch lengths. Make 3 or 4 diagonal slash marks with a knife. Bake on greased cookie sheets in a 350 degree oven for about 12 - 15 minutes. These are pretty when drizzled with creamy white icing or melted chocolate.

No comments: