Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'M GLAD THIS WEEK IS OVER

Wednesday we didn't have the correct ingredients so Hailey and I didn't cook until Thursday. Friday I had to go to the hospital in I.F. for a bladder study test. Thursday I spent all day getting my digestive tract getting "cleaned out"
It reminded me of my Dad's opinion of chiropracters. He said, "The best thing about them is that it feels so good when they quit!" It wasn't particularly painful, just a big embarrassing mess. Anyway, I am glad to be on this end of it and think my problems before weren't so bad afterall. Here are the recipes of what Hailey and I made. The first is a recipe I cut out of an Ann Lander's column. She says there is no excuse to not give an expensive gift when you can give this "Economical Pound Cake". The berry topping I learned from Mary Ann Stanger, a lady in my Nampa Ward. I like it because you can make Strawberry Shortcake or anything else with Berry Topping without having to buy junket or "Danish Dessert" type of sauce.

Ann Lander's Economical Pound Cake
3 sticks (3/4 pound) good quality margarine
3 c. sugar
5 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (or 1 tsp. grated lemon peel)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 c. sifted flour
7/8 c. ginger ale (or similar soda)

Cream margarine and sugar until fluffy and light. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in 1 c. flour then add extracts and a little of the ginger ale. Continue adding flour and alternating with Ginger Ale until all ingredients are used and batter is smooth. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans or 1 greased and floured 10 " tube pan. (Ww used non-stick cooking spray.) Bake in a pre-heated 275 degree oven for 1 hour 45 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean and cake has begun to shrink frrom sides of pan. (Baking time will be slightly longer for 10" cake.)
Serve plain or with your choice of toppings.

Berry Topping

1 pkg. berry flavored Kool-aid
1 c. sugar ( more if desired)
2 c. cold water
2-3 T. cornstarch mixed in a little cold water

Mix and heat until thickened
Add frozen or fresh berries .

(This can be served on any kind of shortcake too.)

No comments: