Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Taking Things Too Seriously

I was thinking about and remembered a time when I had to remind myself not to take things too seriously, There have been many times I've had to remind myself of this. I guess the key is to just keep working at being a parent. Teenagers have a way of making you wonder.
One day I was driving in the country with the kids in the car. My son, a teenager, said "Smell that dairy air." as we passed a farm. Concentrating on my driving and other things, I assumed he said the French word "derriere" which means "behind". I said, "Do you know what that means? " and proceeded to explain why his statement was inappropriate. It took awhile before I understood that he was just making a comment on a rural reality. Because he currently works in the dairy industry, I think he still likes to smell the "dairy air" and I have learned not to make assumptions quite so quickly.

No comments: