Saturday, April 9, 2011

Summer Squash Casserole

Stephanie wanted to make this because she got some zucchini in her "Bountiful Basket". The recipe says you can use yellow crook-neck squash instead of zucchini but I never have. Zucchini used to be so prolific in my garden that I was always looking for recipes which used it. I even got a recipe from my sister-in-law for zucchini brownies. When I tasted this casserole this week, it tasted as good as I remember it. Summer Squash Casserole 2 lbs. summer squash (about 6 cups) 1/4+ c. chopped onion ( I have used as much as 1 cup.) 1 can cream of chicken soup 1 c. dairy sour cream 1 c. shredded carrot 1 8 oz. pkg. herb stuffing mix ( or make your own with dry bread cubes and your choice of herbs like poultry seasoning, sage and dried parsley.) 1/2 c. melted butter or margarine In saucepan cook sliced squash ( about 1/4 in. thick slices) and chopped onion in boiling salted water for 5 min. Drain. In a large bowl, combine soup and sour cream. Stir in shredded carrot. Fold in drained squash and onion. Combine stuffing mix with butter. Spread half of stuffing mixture in bottom of 12x7 1/2 x2 in. baking dish. Spoon vegetable mixture atop. Sprinkle remaining stuffing over vegetables. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 min. or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: