Friday, March 11, 2011

Easy Calzones

Stephanie and I used Rodes frozen bread to make a variety of things yesterday, I love to use Rhodes frozen bread dough. I learned about it when I was a busy, young mother. Even though home made bread dough is a good art to learn, this makes a good alternative. I like my daughter-in- law's approach. When people compliment her and ask her for the recipe when she uses frozen bread, she just says, "It's an old family recipe. " and usually doesn't have to go any further. I learned while taking it to the cabin over the years, it is pretty hard to destroy and tastes good hot or cold. Although you can make many things with the bread (scones, a variety of dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls, monkey bread, hotdog or hamburger buns,), we concentrated on making calzones. I don't know if it the MS or that I am close to the Sr. discount age, but I can't multi-task very well these days. Yesterday I was trying to give instructions to Stephanie and BLOG at the same time. I didn't do either one very well. Here is the recipe for Calzones given to me over the phone by Emily Reil Kern.

Easy Calzones

thawed frozen Rhodes bread dough ( one thing I learned over the years is that you can punch down raised Rhodes one or more times without ruining the quality of the bread dough.)
Tomato sauce or sauce you like such as Prego or Ragu
Anything you like on a pizza (we used pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, canned mushrooms, black olives.tomato sauce.)
Roll out into a circle about 1/4 inch thick 1/2 0r 1/3 of a loaf of dough. ( I had never made these before and should have had a clue that 1/2 a loaf of bread would make a lot.)
Spread some tomato sauce on 1/2 of the circle of dough leaving a margin of at least 1 inch around the edges.
Top with your choice of pizza toppings being careful not to overstuff.
Pinch the edges together making a semi-circle. Dough can be sealed with beaten egg brushed on.
If a shiny crust is desired, brush crust with remaining beaten egg.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 - 25 min. or until crust sounds hollow when tapped.

We each ate 1/2 calzone for lunch and were very full. Later in the week Ralph cut the calzone into strips. Two strips were plenty.
Top with

1 comment:

SKH said...

These sound so yummy. We are definitely going to try them out.