Thursday, April 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Cookies that don't taste too "healthy"

Yesterday Hailey and I made whole wheat cookies. My sister gave me the recipe and I have made them quite often. I like them because even though they are made with 100% whole wheat flour, they still taste pretty good rather than tasting like they're "duty cookies" because they are "good for you".

Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies

2 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
2 beaten eggs
2 c, applesauce
2 tsp. soda
4 c. whole wheat flour (you can substitute up to 1/2 white flour if you don't have enough whole wheat flour)
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. quick oatmeal
1 pkg. chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet)
2 c. raisins
chopped nuts if desired
Cream shortening and sugar. Add soda to applesauce and add both to shortening mixture. Mix flour and other dry ingredients (spices and salt) and gradually add to mixture as with other cookies. Add oatmeal. Add chocolate chips, raisins and nuts as desired. Bake dropped cookies on a greased cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

No comments: