Thursday, May 12, 2011

Porcupine Meatballs

Last week Stephanie and I made Porcupine Meatballs. Every time I make them I remember a friend who said, "Do they really use pocupine meat in them?" No, they use just regular ground beef and are called pocupine meatballs because there is rice in them which pokes out like miniature porcupine quills. At any rate they are delicious and easy to make. I am also including this week's recipe which I may have posted before. It is for Ann Landers Economical Pound Cake. She says that there is no excuse for not giving a gift because it is inexpensive and it tastes good.

Porcupine Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 c. uncooked rice (Ralph got Uncle Ben's Instant Rice and it worked ok but before that I had always used just regular raw rice which I think I prefer.)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can tomato soup
1 cup or can water
1 T. minced onion

Combine meat, rice, salt, pepper and onion. Shape into small balls. (about 1 1/2 " in diameter) Combine and heat soup and water in oven safe pan or pressure cooker. Drop meatballs in soup mixture. Close lid securely. Place in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. When using pressure cooker place regulator on vent and cook 10 min. with regulator rocking skowly. Let pressure drop of its own accord. (I have never used a pressure cooker.)

Economical Pound Cake

3/4 lbs. good quality margarine or butter (I used butter.)
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs
3 C. flour, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon extract or 1 tsp. grated lemon peel (I always use lemon extract because I never have a lemon.)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
7/8 C. ginger ale
Cream eggs (the recipe says eggs but I think it must mean butter.) and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and flavorings and mix well. Add flour alternately with ginger ale, mixing after each addition. Bake in two loaf pans in pre-heated 275 degree oven for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until skewer or tablle knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan before turning out.

No comments: