Sunday, November 1, 2009

Split Pea Soup

We have been having snow and cold weather so it felt like soup. Ralph requested his favorite soup - Marcia Homer's Split Pea Soup. This is a recipe I got while we were young married and in college at the University of Idaho. It has been a family favorite in the 30 years since. It has a little more pizazz than plain old split pea soup.

Marcia Homer's Split Pea Soup

1 lb. peas, rinsed (I have never rinsed as the split peas I buy in the grocery store are pretty clean these days.)
2 quarts water
2 c. chopped carrots
2 c. chopped celery. including tops and leaves
2 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. dried parsley flakes or 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 T. oregano leaves or 1/4 t. ground oregano
1 T. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 bay leaf ( I generally do not have them and have never included them.)
1 meaty hambone or hamhock ( I usually use the bone left over from a holiday ham I have on hand.)
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hr. 3o min. or until a thick soup has formed. Remove cooled meat from bone. Add meat to soup and throw bone away. Enjoy with bread and butter.

No comments: